The Skyline Soil & Water Conservation District (counties of Floyd, Giles, Montgomery and Pulaski) is accepting applications for the position of Conservation Technician.
Education or experience in agriculture, natural resources and/or environmental science preferred. Successful candidate must possess excellent communication skills, have the ability to use a computer effectively, be well organized and self-motivated. Candidate must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume VA Form 10-012 and contact information for 3 references (phone and email) to: (only electronic applications will be accepted; one pdf document is preferred). APPLICATION DEADLINE: Midnight on Monday July 15, 2019.
Conservation Technician: This position will be filled as either a conservation technician or a conservation specialist depending upon the experience and certifications of the chosen candidate. The position carries out the technical and administrative components for all District agricultural programming. A high school degree is required but a college degree is preferred. A farm background is highly desirable. Applicant must have a valid Virginia driver’s license and must be will to provide his or her own transportation on the job if District vehicle is not available. Mileage will be reimbursed at the current District rate. (The District includes the Counties of Floyd, Giles, Montgomery and Pulaski).
1. Work with landowners who have expressed an interest in agricultural conservation practices and recommend appropriate conservation practices to address identified concerns.
2. Develop program related and non-program related comprehensive farm plans.
3. Provide planning, technical designs, and completion certification for agricultural conservation practices.
4. Promote the District’s agricultural incentive programs by attending farm related meetings, networking with the farm community, preparing press releases, providing presentations, and through other effective methods.
5. Maintain accurate files and complete data input for State and District tracking and database programs.
6. Assist with reporting and spot checking for program activity.
7. Assist with tasks related to TMDL development and implementation within the District.
8. Assist with any tasks related to the activities of the District.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Strong knowledge of agricultural operations and conservation issues related to agriculture.
2. Strong knowledge of agricultural best management practices.
3. Knowledge of other soil and water resource concerns and conservation practices.
4. Ability to utilize standard computer software – word processing, spreadsheets, email, database programs.
5. Strong map reading skills.
6. Strong math skills.
7. Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
8. Ability to work independently and schedule time in an efficient manner.
9. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
10. Ability to interpret technical standards and program policies and guidelines.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Surveying skills.
2. Knowledge of construction activities and water system installation.
3. Technical knowledge of the design and installation of conservation practices.
4. Experience with Geographic Information Systems and Global Positioning Systems.
5. Experience with Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Plan review.
Physical Conditions and Nature of Work Contacts: Tasks involve frequent walking over difficult terrain, lifting and carrying moderate weight (25 lbs.), and exposure to adverse weather conditions. Tasks require alertness to avoid potentially hazardous conditions. Responsibilities require regular contact with farmers, contractors, public officials, District Board members and the general public, while using judgement and tact to resolve complex issues.
Location: Christiansburg Office of the Skyline Soil and Water Conservation District
Salary: Beginning range … $ 33,598 - $43,892
Benefits: Virginia Retirement System, health insurance, annual leave and sick leave
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, VA Form 10-012 and contact information for 3 references (phone and email) to: (only electronic applications will be accepted; one pdf document is preferred)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Midnight on Monday July 15, 2019.